Re: Pixmaps, and client/server startup

philb@cats.ucsc.edu writes:
> It would be nice if, on startup, servers sent their client a bunch of
> version headers. Especially about the pixmap-type data.
>

>      Server                             Client
>                                     Hello server@blah.blah
>   Hello Client. This is server@blah.blah Sound Enabled Color Enabled

>   (Disabled is default, ...   Enabled..    so never bother to
>                      say "Disabled")

Why should the server care what kind of sound/color/a.s.o. the client
has ?  A client without sound capability will just never request any
sound files from the server.  A black and white client will just
convert the color images to black and white images when it receives
them.

> At any rate, you could have a "standard" distribution, and tons of
> specialized ones. The beauty of it is that 1)  None will conflict
> with each other 2) There's no wondering about whether you have the
> "proper" pix 3) You only have to go through the excruciatingly long
> download setup once.

No, that means that the client has to download the complete set of
images every single time any of its servers changes even a single of
its pixmaps.  What in the world is the win in this over a scheme in
which the server just assumes that the client has the named bitmap and
it is up to client the client to request the bitmap for the server on
an as-needed basis ?

> Ideally, though, we would send the bitmaps/pixmaps in some
> independant format, and its up to the client how it stores them. I
> personally suggest Xpm gzipped "files", seeing as how the source to
> both of them is freely available, so it will be "easily"
> incorporatable into most any setup.

Yes, the source is available but how much overhead do you add to
clients which run on machines which quite possible are not X (and so
very likely wont have Xpm) or not even UN*X (and so will have a hard
time installing gzip and executing it as a subprocess) ?  This is
particularily questionable as gzip is not even very effective on image
data.  My vote for the format would be something much simpler like raw
ppm.  You can write a parser which translates it into virtually any
native format in a page or two.  If you really want to compress it, use
something simple but effective on image data like run-length encoding.

	Carl Edman