Re: Just some hints

> > - I've been busy for 2 days compiling crossfire (missing includes,
> >   link-libraries, etc), so it mighty be nice to ease the installing a bit.
> > - Let it be possible to change the lib-dir on command-line
> What are you trying to build it on ? I had no problems building it on a Sun
> running SunOS (except for making spoiler.ps - item-extract is missing).

I've compiled CF 0.90.a on a Sun SPARCstation LX, with Solaris.
I had to include <sys/ttold.h> and change 2 lines in 'include/includes.h'.
What beats me, is that after every change in the source/include-files,
the whole source-tree is builded _again_! (why did we invent make-files??)

But really, I think it might prove worthy, to allow changing of dir-names and
other important constants on the command-line (hard-coding is BAAAAAD!) .

> > BTW, is there any interest left for the amiga-port of crossfire ????
> > I've let the project rest for more than a year now, but maybe someone
> > can help me???
> Are you the guy who modified the data structures to speed the game up for your
> Amiga port ? If so, did those mods ever get folded into the main release, because
> any speed ups will be useful as we get more players in a game.
> Rupert

Yes, but it never came to a real release. (I -did- send my sources to Frank..)

Anyways, I made 2 seperate lists for the objects:
1) a list for static objects (weapons, potions, books, etc)
2) a list for all the living objects (monsters, wire-walls, waveing grass, etc)

The 2nd list allows the game to parse all the living things in one run.
(You don't have to check all the books etc, to find the anim/liv. things)

I can make an archive with this code if you wish ?

BTW, I've got a very nice mud running for 2 months now on campus,
     and I must admit that the code is crystal-clear, and has some
     really decent structs and routines. If you're interested to look
     at the code: it's called CirleMud. (ftp.cs.jhu.edu:/pub/CircleMUD)
     (ALERT: It might take over CF, so -PLEASE- do something quick!!)

PS, I've been thinking to create a new game, much like CF, but with the
    (better) CM structs, and a new data-organisation (looks like CF).
    One idea I have, is to create a standard data-set (around 100Kb) for
    the game, so all maps have a base to build on. This std-set increases
    per version, so you've got to specify which game-version a map needs.
    Place each map in it's own dir, and make it possible to extend the data
    on-the-fly (so a map can have totally unique objects/monsters).
      Maybe a good idea for CF too???

Patrick

----- End Included Message -----