Re: XPMs in crossfire (Was Re: er...xbmtoxpm???)

+--- Nick Williams:
| You'll find that the most basic editor supports symbolic names: pixmap.
| This is the XPM version of bitmap.  Crude, but it works.
+---

Great tip, Nick! We actually had a copy here already, and I never
knew. On the other hand, that was version _1.1_ - and it was extremely
buggy. The newest version is 2.3, and it is quite nice!  (I compiled
it with Motif support.) Much nicer than bitmap, at least, but not as
versatile as xpaint.

In any case, I thought I'd save you some hassle with this xpm-file, I
call it "template". It's an empty 24x24 pixmap with all the colours
Mark listed defined in it: (I hope it will not be MIME-encoded ;-)

----- 8-< ----- cut here ----- 8-< ----- cut here ----- 8-< -----
/* XPM */
static char *template[] = {
"24 24 29 1",
" 	c None	s Transparent",
".	c Black",
"X	s Dark gray	c Grey25",
"o	s Gray	c Grey50",
"O	s Light gray	c Grey75",
"+	c White",
"@	s Dark red	c Firebrick",
"#	c Red",
"$	s Light red	c Salmon",
"%	s Dark green	c SeaGreen",
"a	c Green",
"b	s Light green	c PaleGreen",
"c	s Dark blue	c Navy",
"d	c Blue",
"e	s Light blue	c DodgerBlue",
"f	c Goldenrod	s Dark yellow",
"g	s Yellow	c Gold",
"h	s Light yellow	c Yellow",
"i	s Dark magenta	c Maroon",
"j	c Magenta",
"k	s Light magenta	c Pink",
"l	s Dark cyan	c Cyan4",
"m	s Cyan	c Cyan2",
"n	s Light Cyan	c Cyan",
"o	s Dark orange	c Chocolate",
"p	c Orange",
"q	s Dark brown	c Peru",
"r	s Brown	c Sienna",
"s	s Light brown	c SaddleBrown",
"                        ",
"                        ",
"                        ",
"                        ",
"                        ",
"                        ",
"                        ",
"                        ",
"                        ",
"                        ",
"                        ",
"                        ",
"                        ",
"                        ",
"                        ",
"                        ",
"                        ",
"                        ",
"                        ",
"                        ",
"                        ",
"                        ",
"                        ",
"                        "};
----- 8-< ----- cut here ----- 8-< ----- cut here ----- 8-< -----

+---
| (e.g. a house is four characters, a dragon is about 9 characters.
| Why not just make them one image?)
+-------

This question must be settled before the client/server protocol is
decided upon.

  + simplifies /arch-directory and maintenance

  - requires rewriting a fair bit of the display code
  - necessitates break with fonts (fonts are a _lot_ faster on old
    displays)
  - animations can't be optimised (you can't get the effect I have on
    my castle with the flags which flutter in the wind asynchronously
    :-) (The castle with the moat)
  - similarily, you can't have monsters which are immune lightning
    except in their faces etc.

The last two objections do not necessarily follow, but if you want to
keep the linked "sub"-archetypes, much of the maintenance advantage
goes away.

Kjetil T.