Monsters

Philip Brown writes:
> Excellent point. It's all a matter of how far you let a monster's
> 'vision' be, I think.
> I haven't checked in the source, but i believe that a limited-range of
> vision is already implemented in some fashion. It should be augmented by
> having low-level monsters, and most kinds of other monsters, having
> really short-range vision. Then the problem will fix itself, I think.
> (of course, if some map-maker is stupid enough to put
>  100 "clairevoyant mind-flayers, speed 10" in a room together, nothing
>  you can do :-)

When I few years back was implementing a game much similar that
crossfire (but with my own curses), I planned to handle that by
creating special kind of client that would connect to the main
server. This client would be like robot who is playing the monsters.
So one robot-client could easily play move for all orcs on the world,
and other robot would take care of rest of small monster.

Then when you created a new map, you could create a very special
monster there (say the king of the world) and you could write robot to
play that monster (the king could remember every player he has talked
to and could act accordingly (order all the guards to attack the
player etc... :-)).

Those special robot-clients could have password protected connection
to server, so the could get more information and do more than normal
client. When someone writes a new monster-robot he could send mail to
adminstrator of the server and agree password for client.
--
Tero_Kivinen@hut.FI              	     Work : +358-0-451 4032
Magnus Enckellin kuja 9 K 19, 02610, Espoo   Home : +358-0-502 1573