Re: Client binaries

> From: "Eric A. Anderson" <eanders+@CMU.EDU>
>
> quinet@montefiore.ulg.ac.be (Raphael Quinet) writes:
> > I'd rather distribute the sources for the client, forget about encryption
> > and never do "sensible" things in the client...  Let's use the client for
> > display-related operations only (inventory, animations, map, ...)
> The problem is not what the developers do in the client, the problem
> is what people who recieve the code do to the client.

Don't forget one thing: at present time, the first players are the developpers
themselves.  How do you want to keep an algorithm "secret" if people all
around the world are working on it?  Oh yes, you can always have only one
person working on the encryption algorithm and have him send only the object
files for all known systems in the universe to everybody else.  And he will
need to update his files after each major change in the client code.
Very easy, isn't it?

> That is the problem, even if you don't give the client any information
> they shouldn't have, the clients can still do more intelligent things
> than the X thing that is forced onto people's screens in the current
> implementation.

I'm sure that we will find a way to prevent such things.  But we must work on
the client and server *now*.  Once we have a fully-working game, we can deal
with this kind of problems.

-Raphael