How to set up and use a fontserver

In message <9407191515.AA04127@sonja.math.Virginia.EDU>, "Kevin H. Weiss" write

>P.S.  I got myself a copy of fs.  So, somebody tell me how to set up a font
>server, please...  Thanks!

Fontservers are only useful for non-xpm graphics.

Here's how to start:  you figure out where the crossfire fonts
you'll be using are to reside.  Go to that directory and type
'mkfontdir'.

Also, it is helpful to have a configuration file for the fontserver
around.  Here's the one at coke.csua.berkeley.edu
#******************************************************
#
# simple fontserver config file.
#
# run fs as 'fs -config [this file] & '
#
catalogue = /usr1/games/crossfire/c91/lib

client-limit = 10

error-file = /tmp/fs.errors

port = 13325

use-syslog = 0

You do not need to do anything to the fontserver if you change the
font, the fontserver will automatically notice the change in the font.

To use the fontserver to play:

> xset +fp tcp/coke.csua.berkeley.edu:13325      (for example)
> telnet coke.csua.berkeley.edu 13326
set font
add <yourdisplay>

Regards,