Re: font problems

On Tue, 31 May 1994, Simon McIntosh-Smith wrote:

> where's everyone gone all of a sudden!? Traffic was so busy last week,
> this is a real culture shock!

To the summer holiday, I think. There's somewhat quiet season
in near, I quess.

> The problem is this. The X server does not belong to you, it is a
> root process. Before this change the X server would
> have belonged to whoever was logging in, but no longer. This
> caused a number of problems, such as the console belonging to
> root so error messages and the like were getting lost. Most of
> these have been resolved. However, when trying to play Crossfire,
> the familiar "trying to fix fontpath, failed, switching to pixmaps..."
> message comes up, even when the font is correctly installed and
> in the right place. This problem first manifested itself when
> we were still using v0.91.0, and didn't go away when we switched
> to 0.91.1.  The fonts WERE working until the X server change
> was made - for a time half of our machines had the pre-running
> X servers and Crossfire failed to find the font on those machines,
> while on those who's X servers started up as you logged in
> Crossfire still worked with the fonts fine.
>
> I suspect it might be that Crossfire is trying to add a font to
> the server when the Crossfire process lacks the permissions
> to do this. Am I right? And is there a way around this problem?

I have same like problem running on HP-UX with xdm.
Problem was that there was no permission to read or
execute directory by server, I don't remember clear.
Anyway Ot can be fixed by setting permission and
use the xset +fp /dir. Btw. I think in general there
sould be used xset instead buildin heuristic. To keep
the code simple and separate the functions where they
belong to.

-- <A HREF="http://www.lut.fi/~hevi/">The Page</A> --