Re: Misc thoughts.

In message <199410120338.AA25611@bolero.rahul.net>, Mark Wedel writes:

>Basic problems:
>Spell casters (especially level 10+) tend
>to have many advantags over fighters.

This is inherent.  Throwing a hand-grenade into a room is always going
to be quicker and safer than going in and chopping everything to pieces.

>Most of the different classes/races are not really that different.  Maybe
>a stat point here or there, but nothing else.

Quetzalcoatl, fireborn, Wraith, these are a start.  They each have their
strengths, weaknesses, inborn protections and immunities, and vulnerabilites,
as well as relatively extreme stat bonuses, and lack some important
abilities.  How about some more like this?  And perhaps undead 1 for
Wraiths, so they take damage from holy word.  :)

>classes can use.  Maybe only priests can use clerical type spells, and
>perhaps even use the varous spell paths for different classes to limit

Gee, how about a 4-class split?  :)  We can then balance the game
easily by making it very hard to advance as a mage (takes a LOT of exp
from killing with spells to advance) and relatively easier for
fighters.

>Moria, as an example, does have limits on what different races can cast.
>A race/class that wants to be able to cast all spells exists, but tends
>to require more experience and/or you need to be higher level to be able to
>cast the same spell that a straight mage can cast.

This is an interesting idea.  I'd think that giving certain spell
advantages/disadvantages would be a good idea.  Also, I'd like to see
sp/hp regeneration class dependent also.

> Improved weapons:  IT was brought up that being able to create your own
>super weapons was necessary in order for fighters to be able to keep up with
>mages.  The basic problem is that mages have just as much to gain from improve
>weapons as fighters do (no weight reduces mages chance of fumbling, plus
>having it raise certain abilities is just as good for a mage as a fighter.)

It's simple enough to rationalize making it difficult to have such
an improved weapon AND cast spells around it.  "The powerful magical
aura emanating from the artifact disrupts your spell".  "Your weapon
consumes the mana you intended to go into your magic effect!"

This is going to be annoying, much like the current spell-encumbrance
system.  But it'll do the same thing:  prevent the simultaneous use
of both powerful physical weaponry and powerful spell effects.

<Lots of stuff about what to do to weaken the maximum potential of
improved weapons deleted>

I don't think lowering the maximums for weapon improvements is the way
go to.  Rather, making it very much harder to achieve....  That is
the way to go.

> Or maybe reduce the player involvement in the weapon.  In nethack, you
>could perhaps have your weapon turned into an artifact by sacrificing or
>getting it blessed or whatnot.  In crossfire, it is all calculations.  You
>can do whatever you want with it.

I really really like this idea.  You complete a quest, for example, and the
gods improve your weapon for you, OR SOME OTHER ITEM, and it's random.
It'd be really nice if some other armours were also done.  The improve
weapon scrolls should be the result of quests, not purchases....

Regards,

PeterM