Re: client server part 1

Tero Kivinen <kivinen@niksula.hut.fi> said:
 | If the protocol uses relative cordinates then the server would need
 | some way to tell the client when player is moved to new map, so it may

A you only need an TELEPORT command, which signals a
change to a new world view. The advantage of this is that the player
on a multi floor map vies it as a single floor at a time. Also the
world map, made up of smaller maps conected together appears as one
big map to the client (as only the server need know about the change
in map).

Another choice is to let the client suffer and only send the updates.
The client can draw its own conclusions from this data. I mean normal
people would have to decide when they enter a new map anyway for
mapping purposes, so let it be a user to client command, or have the
client guess.

 | the client may save some
 | kind of memory of the old map for example saving overall information
 | about walls and floors to local disk and showing them as grayed out on
 | the screen.
Thats ok, but the server should not help it do anything unnatural.

cam

--
`Rev Dr' cameron.blackwood@rdt.monash.edu.au,    << skeptic, virtual goth >>
  +61 3 905 3403/809 1523      >> BSD Unix, C/C++, genetics, vi, ATM, HW  <<