re:weather/day/night/climate

In message "weather/day/night/climate",
'thomas@chaupher.gsfc.nasa.gov' writes:

>	Hi,
>
>	   I have managed to sort-out all of the previous
>	mentioned difficulties within the lighting code *and*
>	add a few features. I will be posting again later
>	to describe this.

Kool, when can we expect this to be part of crossfire release?

>		I am posting now to discuss another idea that
>	came out of this project--namely the possiblity to
>	have weather, climate and night/day cycles on (specified)
>	maps. These changes would occur "globally" ie all (loaded)
>	maps change at the same time.

I've been thinking about this for a while as well; so I'll give my
0.25 cents (inflation :-) inputs.

My main concern is with how to represent the environment.  With the
new lighting code, day and night would be pretty easy.  Just have
every square take a new variable (say: environment) that can be
set according to the following sets of values (lighting,weather,etc...)
Lighting via environment will just be another logic check.  But
for weather, it's a different story.  For starter, how do we represent
weather?  Wind does not need graphical representation, just its affects
on others.  How about rain, snow, etc...  Will weather restrict movement?
Weather will definitely adds several new spells :-)
How will we model the elements of weather (snow, water, cloud, etc...)
What are the attribute of weather (humidity, temperature, pressure, etc...)
Realism and flexibility will depend on the answers for the above 2 questions.
Time will add to the game only if there are factors that uses it.  Will
players have age and will age affects playing?  Some spells may be able
to make use of time (spell duration can be affected.)

As far as labeling them, I vote we move away from the normal "earth-like"
12 months, 24 days, 4 seasons.  At least make it flexible for configuration.

Regards.