Re: Readable hack:

On Sun, 17 Dec 1995, Mark Wedel wrote:

>  I seem to remember that ultima IV or ultima V did something like this - it
> used its own character set for signs and stuff.  Same coudl be done in
> crossfire, just that if you know the language (Determined by skill level),
> you get it in normal characters.

Yes, this is an important point I think.  We need to start really
singling out each character in crossfire.   They blend in too much in my
opinion.  Maybe some favortism from same-class shop owners, strength the
advantages and disadvantages of using each class.  ANd, like you said,
allow for different languages, and skills for learning each one.  Maybe
in crossfire you can start off with two langauges, your native one, and
the offical language of the land.  If you travel to a village with
nothing but elves, you might have to learn their language in order to get
anywhere, or in my case..  Get some room and board since I always choose
an Elf. :>

> >I don't know if anyone has ever played it.  But there was an old game on
> >the Sega Genesis called Fatal Labrynth.  It was a random RPG game, each
> >time you go through it, it was different here and there..  its actually
> >alot like crossfire in a few ways.  Anyway, it had a feature I thought
> >was pretty neat.  Each time you killed a specific creature, say blue
> >slime.. You would gain in knowledge on how that creature reacts, etc.
> >I'm thinking maybe we could add the ability to have knowledge on each
> >creature's moves, attacks, etc.  The more knowledge you have on the
> >creature, the better modifiers you get on Dex, Str, Int, etc for each
> >move you do against that creature.  These books you purpose could also
> >increase the players knowledge the first time the book is read for each
> >of the creatures in there, then the book could be refered to later on for
> >things such as best protection spells/items to use, best spells, weaknesses,
> >max HP, etc for each creature listed in that book.
> >

>  I know the moria did the same thing.  I am not sure how it implemented it,
> but I guess that it pretty much stored how many of each type of monster you
> killed, and depending on that number, would tell you varying amounts of data
> about it.

I think thats the only way it can be done.

>  You actually didn't get to attack it any better, but you just knew what it
> did.

Well, what about if we did give alittle more for the well practiced
dragon slayer for example.  I think we should allow hit modifiers if ya
fight one monster so much you can do it blind folded. :>

>  The problem I see with getting bonuses (to hit, etc) in crossfire is that
> each time you attacked something, it would need to check and see if you have
> extra informatin about this monster, and that you should then get some
> benefit.

HMm.  Well maybe it would be nice if we did one-time information
updates.  Why look each time?  Why not the server tell the players client
whats what each time the game is entered and have the client remind the
server when it comes time what should be done in each situation?  Or is
that of no benefit at all?

>  The other problem is where to store this information.  Number of monsters
> is hardly static (the way such a method should probably be done is invisible
> objects in the players inventory that contain monster and how many killed.)

There is an idea.  But I think in general, we should start expanding to new
fields to store stuff for each character.  Can't go on stuffing his items
list forever.  It'd do for now though. :>

> >Good points.  And instead of having to write new books per server, why
> >not make the books call upon the different variables set for each server?
> >Example:
> >      The Dread's weaknesses are <call dread_weak_var>, his max hitpts is
> ><call dread_HP_var>.
> >

>  Nice idea.  I do see 2 problems:  IT could get pretty time consuming.  If
> such a system was done, a standard naming convention would need to be done
> (something like arch name:variable name).  But this would add a bit of code.

Would it load the system down to much ya think or is it just alot of
programming for a small part of crossfire?

>  I don't really like adding that idea just for books - something like that
> should probably also be added to message parsing them (ie, you talk to
> someone, and he would respond in a similar fashion.)

Yes, that is a good idea.  And, weird as it may sound.  It made me think
of another idea I had in the back of my mind for sometime..  Alot of
people on this list have been bring up the risk-factors in the game, if a
player should be allowed to collect xp for non-risky things etc.  I was
thinking about when you do end up talking to someone, sometimes you might
make them mad, weather you push them a few times or whatever.  Why not
allow for a whole background for each player to develop?  Maybe a
thief-class character becomes an outlaw in Scorn city.  He killed to many
people in there and stole their stuff <G>.  So whenever he enters the
city, a bunch of Royal guards start comming after him.  Anyway, just
another idea.  Course there is already SO MUCH else to work on. :>

>  Also, the other problem would be one of the following 2:  1) either those
> values are filled in when the book is created, which means it could be out
> of date if archetypes are changed, or 2) The content of the book actually
> changes (read it once, and it says that dreads have 1500 hp.  Save the game,
> come back at some later time, and your book now says dreads have 2000 hp.
> That would be a bit strange

The second would be very strange.  And I like the idea of having outdated
books.  I mean as programmers, we deal with that alot, no?   We should
then make sure the books have copyright dates on them.  :>

Thanks,

Matt