Starting at levels greater than 1

I've been thinking about some mechanism for allowing players to start at
a level higher than one since for experienced users the early levels become
just a mad dash to gain experience as quickly and easily as possible without
providing much fun.  However, I don't want to let new users wade through the
low levels with overpowered characters.

I propose that after a character has been rolled that the user should be prompted
for a desired starting level.  The user would then be asked several questions to
ensure that they have sufficient knowledge of the game to deserve that starting
level.  Only if the user successfully passes the quiz will they be allowed to
start at that level.  The questions would get harder for each level, we could
top out at around level 10.   The questions could be contained in a file in
the library directory (say "levelquiz"), so could be site customizable.

Some example questions:
- What is the password needed to open the gates to Scorn?
- What is the name of Gork's best friend?
- What is the name of the spell that Yqreth guards in his tower?
  etc.

Comments?

--Ken

| Ken Woodruff           | Most Latin words in -us have plural in -i,  |
| woodruff@cadence.com   | but not all, & so zeal not according to     |
+------------------------+ knowledge issues in such oddities as hiati, |
| Disclaimer: What tote  | octopi, omnibi, & ignorami; ...             |
| bag full of $20 bills? |     Fowler, "Modern English Usage"          |