Re: Starting at levels greater than 1

I guess I'll repeat Brian's warning:

Brian writes:
> a general strategy is possible for quick advancement. 1) gain enough
> treasure to buy several wands of summon elemental. 2) goto admin building
> in brest and use them in the 10 armies area. You will watch your experience
> jump very high, very fast this way.
> [...]
> the winner was the one with the most experienced character after an hour of play

It's exactly this that I want to avoid.  Why spend an hour following a formula
for experience that has nothing to do with learning the game, risking your character's
life for greater return, going on quests, or exploring new maps, all of the things that
make the game fun (IMHO).  If you're experienced enough to know *how* to gain expeience
fast, I don't see a need for you to actually do it.   My suggestion is designed to steer
the advanced user towards the tougher maps, and leave the "easy pickings" to the people
just starting out rather than having advanced players rip through everything in a mad
grab for easy treasure.

> Its a thought. But all one has to do is take a look at the code to
> get the answers! A lot of work for nothing if you ask me.

Maybe *you* have endless hours to waste just killing Dread with elementals.  I'd
rather play.  As for looking at the source, that's cheating of an entirely different
sort and is something I leave up to the user's conscience (or the administrator's
security measures).  Hell, I can hack a save file to get experience a lot faster
than the method you suggest.

--Ken

P.S. There are several maps in Brest that need serious work.  The 10 armies area
     just one of these.  The castle where you can kill 50 electric dragons with just
     fireballs and no risk to yourself is probably worse.

| Ken Woodruff           | Most Latin words in -us have plural in -i,  |
| woodruff@cadence.com   | but not all, & so zeal not according to     |
+------------------------+ knowledge issues in such oddities as hiati, |
| Disclaimer: What tote  | octopi, omnibi, & ignorami; ...             |
| bag full of $20 bills? |     Fowler, "Modern English Usage"          |