Re: Scale

 In theory, the only limit to a maps size is memory and cpu speed.

 Cpu gets affected because for each map in memory, all alive objects
are processed.  Thus, if you had a 1000x1000 map, you are first using
a lot of memory (200 + megabytes, assuming 1 object/space), but for each
tick, all objects on that map would need to get updated.  And a map that
size will probably have a lot of monsters on it.

 As such, it tends to be better to keep the maps small, and just overlap
the edges.  This is not that hard to do - the cut and paste in the
editor makes it easy to get the edges, and I believe a simple script
someplace exists to add all the exits along the edges.

 I agree that a lot of towns is not a good idea - things are much better
now than they once were.  But unless you make distances very time
consuming (5-10 minutes to go from one town to the next), you can never
really  solve the problem.

 Right now, I would say there are about 3 scales right now:  indoors
(buildings, caves), cities, and wildneress.

 --Mark