Re: improvement scrolls

>On Oct 23,  5:55pm, Brian Thomas wrote:
>> Subject: Re: improvement scrolls
>>
>> > frits@chemde4.leidenuniv.nl (Frits Daalmans) writes:
>> >
>> > Since I was not very pleased noticing that weapon improvement has been
>> > severely crippled, I have added a couple of spiffy new scrolls in
>> > server/apply.c in the new improvement code, and a couple of archetypes
>> > for them too.
>
> With new enchantment code, weapon enchanting is certainly weakened, but before
>it was way too powerful.  The new code probably still is not perfect, but does
>make a lot more sense.

Yes, now that I read my mail again: I didn't mean to criticize your new
weapon improvement code. I think it fits the present status of the game
very nicely. It would be a pity if you could "win" Crossfire in a couple
of hours.

>> 	Overall, I think the enchanting of weapons throws off
>> 	game balance. Consider that now, a 20 level character
>> 	can have a +4 weapon that delivers 100+ points of damage
>> 	w/ every hit! :P
>
> It is true very powerful weapons can be created (note that with the new code,
>you ahve the disadvantage that the weapon can just be really high hit/damage,
>old system they could be that plus immunities and other special abilities.)
>
> At least one problem is that it seems that fighters almost need to be able to
>do this in order to keep up with spell casters.  At high levels, the mage
>wanders in and casts a dozen icestorms, and can have killed several of the
>large dragons.  A character with a weapon that does damage+80 can at least get
>close to doing something similar - in fact, it seems some monsters are such
>that you almost need to be able to ahve such a weapon.
>

>> 	My opinion is that enchanting weapons (like above or better)
>>  	should be:
>>
>> 		1) harder to enchant,
>
> At high levels, this will probably never be any issue - under the old systems,
>characters could get tbe thousands of diamonds and other gems needed,and the
>dozens of potions.  Note that the definition of high might vary, but once you
>are the point where you can kill big dragons, you can get the money to do this
>relatively easily.
>
>> 		2) never create weapons better than
>> 		"unique" artifacts, or difficult quest items!

I disagree with this point: for it can be solved in 2 ways
a) weaken weapon enchantment so it is more appropriate for the present levels
OR
b) create new *high* level monsters/levels where experienced level 50 players
will still have a difficult time getting those craved scrolls of enchantment!

I personally tend to like solution b), but what's your opinion?
Don't you agree that to kill a "Jessy" those enchantments might be um,
necessary? or at least of great help?

> Problem here is the how you relate better.  At best, under current code, you
>can create more damage and perhaps more stats, but you certainly won't get the
>other special abilities (protections, immunities, regeneration, etc.)  Many of
>those can be very useful.
>
>> 	I am not opposed to having more functionality in the game
>> 	(heh, I remember one person stated here that there were
>> 	"too many spells already in the game". Never!). But I think
>> 	your improvement will just carry on a trend -- namely to
>> 	unbalance the game more. Someone should revise the enchanting
>> 	weapons code to make it more balanced IMHO.
>>

> Best way to do this might be to limit the number of enchantments that can be
>done on an item - instead of basing it on level, perhaps limit it to 10 or 15 -
>can still get some pretty nice items, but certainly not great items.
>
> At some point in the future, I hope to have it so that crossfire reads a
>config file at startup, to get many of the options/values from.  Has the
>advantage that you don't need to recompile if you just want to change behavior,
>but also should actually make the code easier to maintain, since it will always
>be compiled in, just not always executed.
>

>>-- End of excerpt from Brian Thomas
>
> --Mark

Frits

Frits Daalmans