Re: improvement scrolls

> At least one problem is that it seems that fighters almost need to be able to
>do this in order to keep up with spell casters.  At high levels, the mage
>wanders in and casts a dozen icestorms, and can have killed several of the
>large dragons.  A character with a weapon that does damage+80 can at least get
>close to doing something similar - in fact, it seems some monsters are such
>that you almost need to be able to ahve such a weapon.

So perhaps the answer is to reduce the effectiveness of mages,
rather than increase the strength of fighters.

I almost always prefer games where I have to scrape to get by. I
intensely dislike (I have a theory that I'm in the minority here)
games in which I dissolve huge red dragons with barely a glance.

Somebody else (sorry, I lost the attribution) suggested that you
can never have enough spells. . . . I just wanted to toss in my
hearty agreement to that comment. Many, many people I know who
enjoy games like Crossfire play it, even as a single player, as a
role-playing game. The more opportunities for individuality you
offer in such a game, the more people like that will enjoy it, because
they will be able to shape their characters that much more uniquely.

Brett