Re: CF: Experience awards with skills, map design

>(Ring of Life is a _must_ when playing - possibly there are other items
>but that is the easiest to find. Never mind Grimreapers any more if
>you got that! Experience drain sucks. I believe it was not even possible
>to restore? If it was so, something should be done to it...)

 I was thinking of also adding cold to the grimreapers attacktype, just to
still make them somewhat nasty.

 A ring of life is one of the must have items.  Unfortuantely, grim reapers
are found on a lot of lower level maps (Before the character could hope
to get a ring of life/strange ring.)  In this case, the character either needs
to run away (can be hard, as grimreapers move pretty quickly), hope to kill
them very quickly (can also be difficult,since they are immune to physical),
or jsut hope they don't loose too much experience.

 It wouldn't be a bad idea to add some form of experience restoration (keep
track of max experience or experience lost in the player structure, allow
some spell or potion to restore it..)

>Well, there is one "minor" thing:  the Cauldron.
>
>Weight is 80. But that's nothing, because an INFINITE amount of stuff
>can be inserted into it.

 I think I have fixed this for the next version.  It strength was 100.
strength gets used for containers and reduces the inserted object weight
by that much - Thus, at strenght 100, it reduces inserted objects to 0.
I have changed its strength to 0, so inserted objects will weight normal
value.

>There is also "Cauldron of Holding", but it doesn't seem to do
>anything more (what more could it do anyway :).

 With the change, it could still do something.  However, cauldrons of
holding don't seem to really fit in, so I have disabled their creation.

>On Tue, 27 Aug 1996, Niilo Paasivirta <np@cc.jyu.fi> wrote:
>[...]
>> >       Hmm. In this case the Jessy should be *attacking* the stealer!
>>
>> He _is_! However, if one has Ring of Life, he doesn't actually do
>> much damage.
>
>Hmmm...  If one has the Ring of Life _and_ immunity to electricity,
>immunity to attack, immunity to fire and immunity to cold, then yes,
>it is easy to stay near Jessy.  If you are not immune to these
>attacks, then I wonder how you can survive.  Unless you removed the
>ability for Jessy to cast spells...

 As said, Ring of Life is a must have item.  Immunity to attack isn't
too hard to get (potion invulnerability), likewise fir and cold.  Immunity
to electricity was always the hard one - I don't know if the new alchemy
code actually adds any such potions now.

 I have noticed that a lot of the cone spells that monsters are casting
seem pretty wimpy right now - it is almost like NO_CONE_PROPROGATE is
set no matter what it is set to in teh config.h file.  I have really noticed
this against wyverns - their cone goes 1 space then stops.  This makes a lot
of stuff much easier (even if you are sitting next to the monster and still
in the area, you are being hit for less time.)

>I am now carrying a "cauldron +3", which weights only 56.  Much
>lighter than the normal cauldron, and I can carry as much as I want
>while still running at top speed.  Hmmm...  Is that fair?

 As said, I fixed the containment bug.  But magical cauldrons seem a little
strange - you don't find +3 sacks or +3 quivers.

--
 --Mark