Re: CF: Artefakts

> >>I suggest that a player's inventory be divided into two subtypes of
> >>'prepared' and 'stored'.  A player may have only a few prepared items of
> >>each type (4 weapons, 5 rings, couple of scrolls, 1 of armour types (boots,
> >>armour, helm, gloves, etc).  The advantage of a prepared item is that
> >>it can be switched instantly.  All other items would be considered stored
> >>which means it takes several movement turns to access them.
> >
> >Ugh!
> >Yuck!
> >Yet another place where playability should TAKE PRECEDENCE over
> >realism.
> Scott writes:
>
> I am advocating only a few movement delays which would normally be about
> one or two seconds in handling 'stored' items.  which is a short delay and
> would normally be barely noticeable except in battle when you trying to
> do something every move.  I am not proposing 'realistic' delays of minutes
> to change armour.  I am proposing only slight delays to discourage (not
> prohibit) such activity during the middle of battle.

	Well, you know we can keep the simple inventory system and
	slow down the changing of equipment by just making a "equip"
	time for stuff.

	Basically, we insert code (applicable to all objects, not
	just armour) that if it sees a "speed" value (or some such
	feild) you will be "frozen" while you equip/unequip the
	object. Seems "fair" and "simple" (and generalized to all
	objects!) to me.

						-b.t.

I want to avoid (1) having a limited inventory such as moria and
(2) making ALL items slow.  Goal is to say player has only a few objects
immediately accessible which can be equipped immediately while retaining
current ability to carry tons of stuff.  It is intended to add to
gameplay by making player chose between primary (quickly accessible)
and secondary items (time penalty).  Limited inventory games force you
to make that decision, but are bothersome since you sometimes spend lots
of extra time going back and forth to haul very useful items around
that you cannot carry.  So I am proposing that we have unlimited (except
eventually by weight) inventory, but only some items are usable without
a time penalty of being frozen for a few moments.

I'd expect it to be implemented by marking item as 'at hand' and if
character equips or uses an unprepared item then player is frozen for
a few moments by having a speed value that isn't part of the item, but
is added in depending if item is 'at hand' or 'stored'.  So it should be
fair and apply to all objects.  The part that could care about object type
is when player wants to move item from 'stored' to 'at hand'.  The 'at hand'
list could either be a fixed number of items or a fixed number of each
type of items.  And the penalty for manipulating stored items would NOT
be cumulative so picking up or dropping say 20 items does not mean yoou
now wait 20*penalty, you just wait standard penalty.

							sdw