Re: CF: unbalanced maps

> Last time I remember the attitude was that the maps are good and everything
> is balanced and nothing should be made harder :/
> We'll probably do some fixes to the maps, where should we send them?

I don't remember that altitude.  I recall it being more like that many maps
have sections which are too easy, but it wasn't clear how to make them
harder since players had counter stategies such as placing their own
directors or building walls.  So I think we all would welcome improvements
to maps.  I think maps fixes should be sent to Mark unless he says he
would like someone else to do it.  If there are enough maps changes that
we worry about play balance and such then we could always do what was done
for the source which is to have a stable standard map version and the
newest, possibly unbalanced map version.

(BTW, player built wall should have a special flag which marks it as
passable when checking monster movement so monsters will tear through
them).

> > As for too easy electric dragons, enabling CONE_NO_PROPOGATE does reduce
> > the damage of cone/area effect spells on multisquare monsters.
>
> It also weakens the dragons, they're too easy already (with an immune fire
> potion)

Well, player immunities make just about anythingg too easy and that is
why adjusting immunity is high on the things to do.  I thought there was
something that would make immunity potions quite rare and never appear
in shops.

> There are some monster problems too, such as the black trees, you get good
> amount of exp from them and they are relatively easy to kill. Then there are
> ogres, who are pain in the ass and you don't get much exp from them..

Okay, black trees I think are something we can all agree upon.  They are
worth too much since they do so little damage they are not a treat to kill
you, but are not that easy to wear down and kill.  Thus, I think their exp
should be 900 from 1400 (according to arch/monster/misc/deathtree.arc).
This may not be a perfect number, but the current number is too high so
I think we should pick a number more in line and say we have done more
good than harm.  Also, Ents are worth exp 1000 and are tougher since Ents
do serious damage when they hit.

I am not sure if ogres are clearly that undervalued since they aren't that
bad for armoured fighters.  I never noticed that I had way too litle reward
after fighting ogres since if they are a bit light on exp then they do
have more than average treasure.

							sdw