Re: CF: client

On Aug 10,  5:06pm, Marc Santoro wrote:
> Subject: CF: client
> The cfclient program seems to not handle keypress buffering too well. If I
> hold down a key, even with keyboard buffering off ('keyboard), it keeps
> repeating well after I release the key. For example, if I hold down an
> arrow key to move, the player keeps moving way after i have released the
> key. It works fine with the direct X11 display generated by running
> 'crossfire', but the client does this even over loopback interface. Also I
> have noticed that when my character is heavily encumbered, the whole
> interface slows down, including updates (such as those from moving the
> crossfire window from background to foreground when it was covered by
> another window). If anyone has any insight, please let me know.

 Version 0.94.3 of the client and server should improve this some.  If using an
older version of either the client or server, you won't get the improved
handling of this.

 It still isn't perfect - as of now, up to 5 commands might be sent ahead.  The
client needs to be made more customizable to better limit this.  However, it
will never be perfect due to the time delay between the connections and
processing time (actually, you could in fact limit it to only 1 unacknowledge
command pretty easily, but you now have the case that your character will not
be moving at full potential speed, as the client would send the command, and
wait for that command completion before sending the next command.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com