Re: CF: Beginneers Guide

On Dec 7,  8:30pm, Scott Wedel wrote:

> This LOS stuff recalls another CF weakness.  The inability for players
> or monsters to fire at any angle.  So dark angels one row off from player
> will always miss and player can send fireballs that explode on the wall
> and engulf the dark angels.  Precise angles for fired weapons should be
> possible by specifying angle and x,y position as floating point and rounding
> when indexing next square.  And then monster's should fire a percentage of
> shots intentionally to the side of the player so that player can be hit
> even when moving.

 I would say more precisely, ability to aim at specific squares should be
allowed.  This would be easy enough to do - have two modes of firing - specific
direction (of the 8), or a specific square (player can click on a space with
some key pressed down which means fire onto that space, and monster logic could
also use it.)

 This would also allow monsters to even fire over other monsters.   Ie, if
player is at 0,0 and monster is at 4,5, he monster fires at 0,0. (fire could be
bow or spell or whatever else).  Now there is a monster at 3,4.  Some logic is
done to see if that monster is hit (lower chance - maybe 20% or something since
it wasn't aimed at them)  if it does, arrow stops at that point.  IF not, it
keeps heading towards 0,0 since that is where the monster fired it at.

 This would also make rooms for of orcs more dangerous - right now, at best 8
can attack you.  With the ability to fire over/around their friens, you now
have a lot more potentially firing arrows at you.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com