No Subject

"Mark Wedel" on  wrote...
| > - There should be an easy way for the player to know if a map is going to
| >   be too hard or to easy, and this should not be done by typing 'maps.  ;)
| >   I think it would be nice to add a new archetype similar to the existing
| >   signs, but which displays the map level, extracted automatically from
| >   the map info.  It would then be easy to add this standard sign to the
| >   existing with little effort.  I will try to have a look at that during
| >   this week if Mark is not already working on it...
|
|  Are you just doing to use the difficulty method, or something else?
|  Difficulty is a rough estimate at best.
|
|  I noticed there already is a mapinfo command that displays some basic
|  information about the map.  Adding a difficulty line to that should
|  be trivial.  (mapinfo is only the local map, compares to maps which
|  displays all the maps.)

Maybe map difficulty (and name) should always be printing in the info
window, whenever you enter a new map. The map command looks like it is
more for debugging purposes than anything else.

| > - The temptation for a map designer to link everyhing to Scorn would
| >   disappear if there was more than one starting city or if the "word of
| >   recall" could bring the player back to a different place.  I think that
| >   it will take a while before we have several nice, balanced starting
| >   cities for the different races, but maybe we could already have
| >   different destinations for the "word of recall" depending on which cult
| >   the player chooses.
|
|  Both of these are on the TODO list.   For word of recall,  I don't
|  know if you want to allow players to specify any location (once again
|  could have problems with some treasure chambers).  In theory, if we
|  get temples for each of the gods and have them in each of the major
|  cities, allowing players to set that map as a return location would
|  make sense.
|
|  new starting maps have the problem as said - more beginner dungeons
|  need to be done.

Prehaps maps should specify a `restore' point (or inherit it from an
upper map).  EG: If you are in a strange land `recall' will send you
to the uppermost entry area of the map.

this could also allow for `trap maps'. Where recall only returns you to
the center of the puzzle (where food and shops are availble.

Of course entry to such a maze should have huge ``no return'' warnings.

Note: in a quest area (like pupland or whatever) only the upper most map
needs to specify the recall point.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    http://www.sct.gu.edu.au/~anthony/
 `` Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an EARTH-shattering kaboom! ''
                                                        -- Marvin Martin
     PGP Public Key available -- finger -l anthony@lyrch.cit.gu.edu.au