Re: CF: Travel

David Sundqvist on  wrote...
| On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, [iso-8859-1] Raphaël Quinet wrote:
| > But this is NOT a good idea for playbalance and for the learning curve of
| > beginners, who will easily get lost in the new maps (and will most likely
| > get killed in a few seconds by monsters and traps that are way beyond
| > their level).  NONE of these ships and dragons should be available to a
| > player that does not already know the password for the gates.
|
| Agreed. However, there is a balance to be struck too. IMO, we should
| extend the world maps to be a lot larger eventually. That will make it
| even more annoying for high level characters to travel between cities
| without ships or similar quick travel ways.
|
| It could be solved with a charge system tho. For example, letting entrance
| to the harbor/a ship cost a certain amount (depending on distance to
| city?). Also, there could be dragon transports or even teleporters for a
| fair amount of money, or a fixed charge for an unlimited travelcard.

Travel is part of the game and if a player wants to avoid it he should
pay for it.  Tanstaafl -- There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

Unlimited instant travel should not be allowed at all.

Traveling was always part of the mentioned `Ultima' games.  In that game
they had travel spell but that was usally only to jump a few hundred
moves in a direction, or up a level, or to the dungeon entrence. Never
did they transport you accross the world to a nice save village or town.

Word of Recall as mentioned in a previous letter should also be limited
to the a area associated with a set of maps (usally the entry?).

Travel is good for the soul.  Spread things out.
If a place is difficult to get to it must be a difficult dungeon
with a posibably good reward.

Less Scorn dependance is a good thing in any case.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    http://www.sct.gu.edu.au/~anthony/
      Tanstaafl : ``There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch''
  Motto of the lunar revoluntion, where you have to even pay for the
  air you breath.  -- Robert A. Heinlein  ``The Moon is a Harsh Mistress''
     PGP Public Key available -- finger -l anthony@lyrch.cit.gu.edu.au