Re: CF: how's "chance of learn skill" calculated

Maciej Kalisiak (mac@cs.utoronto.ca) wrote:

> I suspect a lot of them have hidden purposes. Some of the scrolls
> which carry information I cannot read or appear to have none.

Some scrolls do have information. Most maps have no scrolls, though
--- it seems the scrolls were never updated. Not many useful scrolls
out there.

> These I
> suspect (and hope) will become readable once my literacy/mental skills
> improve.

You'll never be able to read "THE BOOK". I don't think there is
another scroll/book of this type.

>  >   How do you kill a rust monster? without magic!?
>  >     I can only hit it one time in twenty to thirty hits with a +1 club.
>
> Perhaps the trick is to avoid metal equipment (so I guess leather
> armour, boots, gloves, horned helmet (I think it's wood), club). To
> make up for the lower AC and WC due to not using metal, these probably
> should be +2, +3. To get more hits on the monster perhaps a +4 or
> higher club is needed. Just a guess, I ran like hell after opening
> that door... :)

- you can wear metal armor that you can throw away afterwards :-)
- wear bracers. Bracers are the first armor to be corroded.
- if you can't hit a monster it means your wc is too bad. Try again later.

>  >     and do monsters heal -- important newbe knowledge that.
>
> Yes!!! The same question ran through my mind a million times by
> now. I used to try to kill tougher monsters by running in, hacking
> like crazy, running out, healing, running in, etc... Never killed any
> big monsters this way. I think they do heal. This definietely belongs
> in any newbie information. Can anyone confirm my suspicion?

It's not that simple. First of all, monsters DO heal. However, they
don't heal when the map is swapped out (nice bug). Your problem could
have been:

- the map wasn't swapped out, so the monster did heal
- you didn't do enough damage. Sometimes a monster heals faster then
  you can damage it.

Christian

--
Christian Stieber        http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~stieber