Re: CF: how's "chance of learn skill" calculated

Anthony Thyssen writes:
 > What I am really hating in the number of junk and usless scrolls which
 > are so expensive (more than some spells) in the magic shops.

I suspect a lot of them have hidden purposes. Some of the scrolls
which carry information I cannot read or appear to have none. These I
suspect (and hope) will become readable once my literacy/mental skills
improve.

 > {The following is NOT a tip for Begineers guide}

You mean the "scroll of legerdermain"(sp?) stuff?

 > Then the naming of scrolls are so confusing. How is a in-experienced
 > play to know that a ``scroll of lerdgeman'' (sorry I can't spell ;-)
 > is needed to gain wizardry.  then one time I read a scroll, didn't see
 > and effects so I sold it. Only to find out later I suddenly had a
 > ``sense magic'' skill. (Very darn useful skill!!!)

Perhaps the solution to this is to have books in the shops/libraries
hinting at which scroll gives which talent.

 > Temple looked good after getting in from the rear but I died thanks
 > to very very bad armour due to the rust monster.
 >
 > So here are my questions...
 >
 >   How do you kill a rust monster? without magic!?
 >     I can only hit it one time in twenty to thirty hits with a +1 club.

Perhaps the trick is to avoid metal equipment (so I guess leather
armour, boots, gloves, horned helmet (I think it's wood), club). To
make up for the lower AC and WC due to not using metal, these probably
should be +2, +3. To get more hits on the monster perhaps a +4 or
higher club is needed. Just a guess, I ran like hell after opening
that door... :)

 >     and do monsters heal -- important newbe knowledge that.

Yes!!! The same question ran through my mind a million times by
now. I used to try to kill tougher monsters by running in, hacking
like crazy, running out, healing, running in, etc... Never killed any
big monsters this way. I think they do heal. This definietely belongs
in any newbie information. Can anyone confirm my suspicion?

 >   If you only have a spell point max of 2 (I=14) and a talisman, what
 >      spell can I actually cast to get experience? I have learnt quite
 >      a few first level spells (all I can find) but can't actually cast
 >      any of them!

As far as I know, you have to kill monsters with the spell to get
skill points. For Wizardry perhaps you could use "Magic Missile" (2
spell points), and "Magic Bullet" (1 spell point).

 >      Prehaps a minor change in inital spell level should be made.  Or
 >      prehaps the talisman can provide say 3 more points of spell

That be nice. Like you say, you can't really do much with 2 spell
points.

--
                                                         Maciej Kalisiak
UNIX is user friendly. It's just                     mac@dgp.utoronto.ca