Re: CF: whitestar.pyrsonal.org down?

From: "Scott D. Yelich" <scott@spy.org>

> I'd like to install a new crossfire system... but
> I've been holding off to see if there was going to be
> any major problems with the latest release.  I'm glad this list
> is finally seeing some volume -- I think the latest round
> of suggestions and activity has been great.

It's been working great for me.  I've been using the 0.95.1 client,
and playing on whitestar.  I've had trouble connecting at times, but
play has been fine.

> My question now relates to playing on the net.  I was disappointed
> when I tried this last time because (1) it was so lagged, I really
> couldn't make it more than 25 spots from the starting point without
> giving up in frustration (on one server) and on another server (2)
> all the stuff was pilfered (is that the word?).  Beginners was empty
> (no wand of medium fireball, etc.).  I couldn't find any green guys
> to get my weakling up to lvl 2.... so although I could move faster,
> I couldn't find anything to fight that wouldn't kill me without
> really even giving me a chance.

> Do boards or maps reset anything like the old muds?  Is it possible,
> yet, to take a character from one crossfire to another?

They do reset; I believe the time between resets is configured either
per server or per map.  If we could get a few people playing at one
time, we could gang up on some of the tougher maps that we low-level
(6) characters can't handle alone.  Is there an IRC channel that
crossfire players hang out on to discuss the game?  It'd be fun to get
several people on a server at one time, especially if it used the
'party system and had plenty of bandwidth.  I'd love to run a server
myself, but with only 64K, I doubt I could really do it justice.

Aaron
--
Aaron Baugher - abaugher@rnet.com - Quincy, IL, USA
Extreme Systems Consulting - http://haruchai.rnet.com/esc/