Re: CF: Newbie hints

>scroll of       grants skill    effect
>sense curse     sense curse
>sense magic     sense magic
>shopping        bargaining      better prizes in shops
>hurdling        jumping         not quite sure what benefits it has
>leadership      oratory         convince monster to become a pet

So what are the effects of the sense skills?  :)

If you're keeping a list, it's better "prices" in shops.

Jumping is useful in that you can move two squares at once.  There is
at least one place where I've used it to get past a square that keeps
moving you back, though I don't think the map designer intended that.
Oratory only works with calm monsters.  It may work well to bind a key
to using singing then oratory.  If you get something to follow you that
can use rings/armour/weapons, consider dropping some good stuff for it to
use, and it might live longer (and give you more experience).  Assuming
it doesn't get destroyed by fire or such, you can always pick it back
up when your friend dies.

Oh, I think you left off another hand-to-hand skill--boxing?  It's
like karate, only not as good.

I wish the bargaining skill was more infomative, such that when you did
"use_skill bargaining," it would say something like "you now shop as
if your charisma were 24."  Perhaps it should add points based on
your personallity level.

I wonder how far you could get with just singing/oratory.  Now there's a
challenge!

--PC