Re: CF: Newbie hints - skills - maping

Preston F. Crow on  wrote...
| >scroll of       grants skill    effect
| >sense curse     sense curse
| >sense magic     sense magic
| >shopping        bargaining      better prizes in shops
| >hurdling        jumping         not quite sure what benefits it has
| >leadership      oratory         convince monster to become a pet
|
| So what are the effects of the sense skills?  :)

Like the `detect' spells of the same name! you just
   use_skill sense {wherever}
instead of
   invoke detect {whatever}
and it does not cost magic points. Of course the spell doesn't cost
many magic points either!

| Jumping is useful in that you can move two squares at once.  There is
| at least one place where I've used it to get past a square that keeps
| moving you back, though I don't think the map designer intended that.

I think I know the place. Prehaps the authour should be told.
especially as the skill is not magic so can be using in the areas `no
spell' zone.

Speaking of `no spell'  I see it used in places like raffles
presumably to prevent some sort of `fence' jumping.  What spell
is it protecting against. I like to know for my map notes.

Also in the same place is ``angry floor'' What in the world is that!

Then under the floor in the `random prise boulder cascade' are
``chaos'' floors. These are however hidden under the real floor so the
spell effects are no visible. And as they are behind a fence, you can't
get to it, so shouldn't be to `kill players'. They have no effect on the
boulder cascade I can find.  So why is it their!

The Authors name is missing on the map so I don't know who created it!

| I wish the bargaining skill was more infomative, such that when you did
| "use_skill bargaining," it would say something like "you now shop as
| if your charisma were 24."  Perhaps it should add points based on
| your personallity level.

That would be nice.

| I wonder how far you could get with just singing/oratory.  Now there's a
| challenge!

Bard class anyone?

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    http://www.sct.gu.edu.au/~anthony/
   Signature lost in transit.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
     PGP Public Key available -- finger -l anthony@lyrch.cit.gu.edu.au