Re: CF: Client protocol and low-bandwidth links

Scott MacFiggen wrote:
> As Mark said, this is already done.

Ah, good.  I was looking at 0.93.7 and I saw it was still server-only.
I would expect the server-only mode to be gone once the client/server
is working.  Because this is the way you want the game to go.

> So it seems like getting something up and running
> wouldn't take all that much work. Although I'm assuming
> since it compiled, it will most likely work.

My point stands then.  Most of the effort is already done by Netrek
coders.  Use their code.  Fetch the COW client source kit, unpack it,
pull out x11window.c and mswindow.c, and just work through the crossfire
client x11 code to produce a WIN API version.

For each game windowing function, find the identical X11 usage in
x11window.c, find the C function of the same name in mswindow.c, and
copy code as appropriate.  If a windowing function is not found,
implement it in terms of existing functions or develop afresh.

Do I _have_ to do it for you?  ;-)

--
James Cameron                                    (cameron@stl.dec.com)
Digital Equipment Corporation (Australia) Pty. Ltd. A.C.N. 000 446 800