Re: CF: call for java enthusiasts: server time!

On Jan 14,  1:56am, Brian Thomas wrote:

> 	Well, I guess Im wondering if you can pack more punch
> 	resource wise w/ Java (my guess is not, but Im no expert)
> 	--- (to me) it basically boils down to whether you can get more
> 	ppl playing (or have more objects actively running) on a server
> 	with the same machine resources. If Java can do that, Im a
> 	convert to your cause. But if the Java server is going to run slower
> 	(and it will for a time, just because of all the bugs and tuning
> 	youll have to do), I dont see much point. There are plenty of
> 	people w/ Unix (Linux) out on the internet now. People havent
> 	compiled the "true" server basically because there wasnt a
> 	working "true" client. Now that the Java/X11 clients are getting
> 	in shape, I expect some people will compile the CF server to
> 	handle it.

 I don't know about Java, but I doubt the java language itself will
give significantly more punch.  However, a rewrite in java may be able
to effectively handle more people than the current C version by being
written with client/server in mind.

 It will probably be a while before the java server is as complete/reliable
as the current C version.  However, once it gets to that point, we will
have to possibly rething C server support.  IF the java server is pretty
much a direct clone and is nearly as fast, there probably isn't a lot of
reason to have 2 code bases.  However, it is possible that the java client
will drift some from crossfire (maybe compatible client, but game play
is different), and which case you don't have the same game.

 As for servers - after seeing this message, I got to thinking that lack
of unix access for peoples may not be a large problem (after all, there
were/still are a lot of muds out there that were running unix).  One
problem/limitation crossfire had compared to a mud was cpu resources, memory
needs, and just playability (anyone could play a mud, you need X11 for
crossfire.)  I do agree with brian that a java client which greatly extends
the audience may extend teh crossfire audience quite a bit.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com