Re: CF: call for java enthusiasts: server time!

On Jan 14, 10:39am, Klaus Elsbernd wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: call for java enthusiasts: server time!
>
> [ text/plain
>   Encoded with "quoted-printable" ] :

> mark@pyramid.com said:
> >  Then, at some point, I will look at removing the X11 code from the
> > server.
>
> >  However, I just realized that last point may not be as easy since
> > there is some X11 stuff in crosslib the crossedit will still need.
> I would vote against removing the X11 code from the server in the near future.
> There are some platforms out there, which don't have a running java system, or
> don't even have the power to run such a big java client. I think,the java
> client is a big improvement for crossfire, but it's not the solution for
> all platforms.

 The C client is continued to being developed (in fact, that is the
only client I am working on.)  So even if you don't have java, the
C client should compile anyplace that the server (w X11) will compile.

 The only case I can see wanting to use the server with X11 instead of
client/server is if you are running both on the same system (ie,
home/local system) - a little more lag is introduced.

> Cleaning up the code is a worthy goal, and it's of high priority, if
> someone (beside those currently working on it) will improve the code further.
> (And it should happen before version 1.0)
> And me too, I would like to see version 1.0 before I die :-( (I think I'm
> older than Thomas :-))

 Getting rid of X11 will clean it up some.

 I know a lot of people (including myself) have said cleaning up code is
important.  However, from people that have worked on the code, what
do you think the major areas taht code cleanup should concentrate on? I
think i am a little too close to the code to see the same type of problems
that other people might be seeing.

 As for version 1.0:  What do people think should be the measure of
a 1.0 release?  Fully working client/server?  Anything beyond that?
If all that is required is a fully working client/server, I can see a 1.0
release within 6 months.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com