Re: CF: towards 1.0

On Jan 15,  5:57pm, Christian Stieber wrote:

> "Rarer"? Potions of shock immunity are the classic example: they are
> extremely rare, and the only type that is really useful. Healing
> and fire immunity potions are only useful for dangerous places with
> unholy ground. Don't know whether magic immunity potions are useful.

 I always find fire immunity and cold immunity potions useful.  Combine  fire
immunity and invulnerability, and big dragoons are now harmless.  Very useful
in that a character of lower level can now kill that big dragon (money wise,
may come out behind as those 2 potions may have cost more than the treasure
from the dragon, but you do get the exp for it.)

 One of the things on the TODO list is varying levels of protection, which
might make some of these items more useful (especially if the permanent
protections are not as good as they are now.)

> The more difficult "challenge" classes (i.e. not mages, wizards, priests
> etc.) are fun to play for some time, but they get annoying. In games that
> have a "goal" to finish the game, "challenge" characters just don't live
> that long to become annoying. That's the main difference, IMHO.

 One things that might improve this:

 Special quests for certain classes (races), special items for them (maybe in a
special quest for the fireborn, may he gets some special armor or weapon only
usuable by him) and so on might make some of the other races more interesting
to play.

 IF anything, right now most all of the races except the special ones are more
or less equal - the only real difference is some minor differences in the stats
(differences in skills can be made up at later time with the various skill
scrolls.)  So the assertion that the barbarian is the only race to play seems a
little false to me.   Maybe that is the playing style on the server - people
have played barbarians successfully, so other people think it is the best race
to play, etc.  If someone played a wizard very succesfully on another server,
maybe everyone would play wizards.

 However, one problem is that many monsters at the higher levels have large
numbers of immunities, which really require a certain spell or artifact to
damage them.  That should probably be changed around to some extent, because it
really does make some monsters effectivly non killable by certain races.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com