Re: CF: win32 client and XPM

Scott MacFiggen wrote:
> I've found that PNG images are about 1/2 the size of XPM
> images. ASCII based format does not necessarily imply
> it is the simpilest best format...

You either get performance or portability, never really both.  Think of
all those modems and network devices that will enjoy a good ASCII stream
and compress it so well!  Give 'em something to do!  ;-)

On PNG vs GIF vs XPM.  Go for XPM.  PNG is untested, too new, and
although it's "portable", it isn't yet "prevalent".  GIF is proprietary.
XPM is well known with programmers.  Lots of XPM code already exists.
But the real portable format is PPM, in my opinion; part of the PBM code
set.

If you want performance, make 'em JPG during transmission.  Let the user
select the compression (loss) rating he desires.  Don't assume modem
play.

--
James Cameron                                    (cameron@stl.dec.com)
Digital Equipment Corporation (Australia) Pty. Ltd. A.C.N. 000 446 800