Re: CF: initial stats

[Christian Stieber]

|   again, something that people _here_ all agree on: the initial stats.
|   The way things are implemented now, experienced cf players just reroll
|   until they get acceptable stats, whereas a newbie always starts with a
|   bad character. This is what I call unbalancing.
|
|   Suggestion: define a sum of stats (like, let's say 100 or 105), and let
|   people distribute these. Basically: forget rolling initial stats.

I agree. The stats used to have a starting max of 15 (average), and I
rolled until I got 88..90 points. (This was before "Power" -- I
haven't played in quite a while :-)

|   In addition, let people select their class _before_ setting their stats,
|   so some reasonable default stats can be set (so a newbie would just press
|   <return>, whereas experienced players can tailor their initial stats
|   to match their initial playing style).
|
|   Any opinions?

Please implement :-) The protocol needs to be changed, the addme
command is too simple. The server could issue query-commands which the
client answers automagically, or we could implement C->S: stats (with
same syntax and semantics as S->C: stats) which the client should send
before the addme.

One problem, currently the client has no knowledge of what class the
player is, so it is currently possible to add classes on your local
server without modifications to the clients.

One solution to this is to add class to the newclient.h as
CS_STAT_CLASS. The server can then send a series of S->C: stats
commands, one for each class, listing the modifiers. This makes the
C->S: class message unnecessary, of course. But the client must be
told how many such stats messages to expect, and I think we need a
special message for this. Perhaps

S->C: setupmsgs <nrof>
	Client should process <nrof> messages before continuing logon
	sequence. <nrof> is sent as 16 bits.

Kjetil T.