Re: CF: hello

Anthony Thyssen (anthony@cit.gu.edu.au) wrote:

> | This makes it a bit slow while it is first downloading the images & building
> | the cache, but at some certain point, things run pretty decently.
> |
> Hmm. anyway to just tell the client where the crossfire server library
> is instead? Presuming it is on the same machine.

Not yet. I'm not sure whether this a good idea (right now the images
are stored differently in the server and the X client), and it is
complicated anyway. First of all "on the same machine" is not quite
what you want --- there are things like NFS mounted directories. Also,
my own server is installed with all files only readable for me, to
prevent the easy cheating by just studying the lib/ stuff (now people
have to download the stuff to cheat...). So chances are one would have
to "download" the images even if the server directory is accessible
via NFS or some such.

Now, I know that some people are running crossfire on machines that
are basically single user. But this ought to be the exeception ---
crossfire gets 99% of the fun from the multiuser stuff. There are even
a few maps which are quite difficult for a single player.

Also, single uer machines should not have a problem "downloading" the
images in the first place; they probably don't need -cache either. Also,
as a wild guess, if the server directory is NFS mounted, it probably
doesn't make much of a difference whether the images are transferred
via NFS or via crossfire --- in both cases they have to go through
the net. Unless, of course, crossfire itself gets the lib/ stuff via
NFS (as my server does...).

Christian