Re: CF: Servers

Philip Brown wrote:
>     Well, I was thinking about bad guys sending UDP packets with the
>     correct format to mess up the metaserver listing. :-)
> I don't see the motivation. Has this happened with netrek?

No, I don't believe it has.

Players take a long time (days) to accept the idea of a new server, and
if they see it listed with 16 players and call in and find none at all,
the server credibility will go out the door.

Since the origin of the UDP packet is checked, it is non-trivial to
attempt to corrupt the listing for a particular server.

--
James Cameron                                    (cameron@stl.dec.com)
Digital Equipment Corporation (Australia) Pty. Ltd. A.C.N. 000 446 800