Re: CF: Suggestion: Talking (was Re: CF: Suggestion: Reg exps...)

On Sep 29, 11:50am, Rupert G. Goldie wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: Suggestion: Talking (was Re: CF: Suggestion: Reg exps...)

> "kill all monsters and grab the treasure" maps are fun too. One of the
reasons
> I like crossfire is that is has an arcadey feel to it. New maps are fun
> because you get to explore and find out what's behind the door. I think
> there should be a mix of adventurey quest maps with interactive NPCs and
> arcadey hack-and-slash maps where you run screaming because of what you
> found when you turned the corner.

 I think the problem becomes one of overall playbalance.

 A room of 25 giants could be interesting, or a very fast way to gain lots of
exp.  That gain then maks other maps easier.

 I guess there isn't a real problem with that - if the players want to go for
the challenge/effect, they can avoid the arcady type maps.  However, it then
needs to be fairly well documented/establish what maps are what.

 For example, if I want to play an arcard feel, then stick to these maps.  If
you want to play a game with deeper meaning/quests, stick to these maps.

 The other thing could be have different map distributions with different style
of maps in each one.  This is more complicated to maintain/update/distribute
however.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com