Re: CF: Rampant volunteerism

The trouble with shopkeepers giving no money for cursed items is then
shopkeeper has just identified the cursed items for the player.  So if
a player doesn't have detect curse then shopkeeper has significantly
helped the player.

Clearly the proposed change is a big step in the right direction even
if it isn't perfect.  The theory is that the shopkeeper is in junk buying
mode and someone has offered something that appears to be quite valuable
and shopkeeper knows if he examines it too closely then seller might
release it is valuable so shopkeeper offers a low price even as shopkeeper
knows most of the time it is a waste of money, but the occasional buying of
a valuable item for 60 gp makes it worth it.  Also, a cursed item might
have value in some situations (I have knowingly equipped a cursed item
before since it's bonuses were needed and the cursed aspects weren't an
issue at that moment).  And who knows, maybe there is some alchemy formula
that makes a harmful powder that curses the victum which requires powerful
cursed items (wouldn't it be nasty hard to make that formula since you
could never buy the needed items in any reputable shops!).  Thus, it could
be argued that if someone ever comes up with an alchemy formula requiring a
cursed item then upto 60 gp for a cursed item makes sense.

Until there is some attempt at supply and demand (decreasing the price based
upon recent sales of such items) and a concept of town reputation then it
probably isn't possible to solve this perfectly.

								sdw