CF: Win32 Client

I finally downloaded Crossfire and started experimenting with it. After
some problem with linux (mainly because of a buggy sound module and a Gnome
library a little old I think - I'm using cfclient), I've run the server and
been able to play with.
I've been a Mud Coder for one year, and I'm starting to look at some
Multiplayer roguelike to implement. Right now, I've tried Crossfire and
Mangband, and Crossfire seems better. Questions are:
1) How abut lag ? How much latency is required to have a playable game over
the Net ? I'm still looking for some server on Internet to test that.
2) How many players can connect at a time before the server starts to slow
down ?
3) Most important -> Here in Italy the pool of people interested by now in
Muds or Multiplayer Roguelike is not enormous. Crossfire requires unix to
connect. Has someone started to develop a Win32 Client (or a java client) ?
Do you think is it possible ? Does Crossfire compiles under cygwin32 ?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the newbie questions.

Carlo Mocci
mocci@tin.it