Re: CF: 0.95.1 bug summary [gcfclient]

Charles Duffy on  wrote...
| > |
| > | I've noticed a (somewhat elusive) buffer overrun doing this in gcfclient
| > | (not sure if you refer to this or cfclient) and sent in a patch... Does
| > | the bug you refer to only affect shooting or also running, "'" and other
| > | special keys?
| >
| > I myself have given up on using gcfclient. It is very nice but when I
| > run it on the same machine as the server it is using it seems to just
| > have huge delays in response time. The cfclient has no such problems.
|
| Haven't observed this one either. Which version of gtk are 'ya using?
| What platform? I've been using gcfclient for quite some time; Other
| than assorted keyboard probs which I've been able to fix (the buffer
| overrun, and then the .crossfire/keys file isn't quite compatible w/
| cfclient) and the ring/pouch thing you mention below, it's worked fine
| for me.

The ring/pouch problme is definately a server problem.

For the platform I am using a Sun SPARCStation 4 running Solaris 2.5.1
(SunOS 5.5.1) With a gcfclient v0.95 with 4 patches applied for one
thing or another.  Server is on the same host and is v0.95.1
libgtk is part of gimp v1.0.2 and is gtk+ v1.0.6

It looks to me it may be a swap problem due to the larger size of the
gtk client. The machine however has a huge amout of memory  160Mbytes!
so some how that could be it.

The client just works in bursts, like all the server packets are piled
up and then suddenly delivered all in one go.

The cfclient has no such problems.

Rambling Mode ON...
Gcfclient
  Hmm a lot of files are open in gcfclient. 16 dynamic libraries
  and 5 normal file descriptors.
  Network link to server...
      desc 4   TCP localhost:54422 -> localhost:13327
      desc 3   local X windows socket to display  (also local)
      STDIN OUT ERR all to xterm pts.
Cfclient..
  Only 12 dynamic libraries open and the rest like that of gcfclient.
      desc 4   TCP localhost:54425 -> localhost:13327
Rambling Mode OFF...

Hmm that did not seem to solve anything but then cfclient does not have
any delay problems.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    http://www.sct.gu.edu.au/~anthony/
    'The keyboard! How quaint.' -- Montgomery Scott  -- StarTrek IV
     PGP Public Key available -- finger -l anthony@lyrch.cit.gu.edu.au