Re: CF: Interesting bugs

Mark Wedel (mark@icp.siemens.com) wrote:

> > Is just NOT needed. The only reason I can think of is that
> > there is a second `boulder', for a `second chance' which was
> > disabled (no key to get into that room).
>
>  I seem to recall there was such a second chance.

That's right: the keys do exist.

> Note that the pupland maps are still well maintained (ie, the people
> that created the maps are still active with crossfire.)

In fact, pupland doesn't have many bugs at all :-) The big problems
have always been caused by quick fixes to some minor problems in the
server.

>  I personally don't have any problem with the boulders - I personally
> think that was sort of the idea - to have it look like a stone age
> lottery.  The fact that the workings are displayed (when they could just
> as easily be hidden behind some walls off the map) sort of suggest that
> the workings of the lottery where meant to be visible.

Indeed, I like it very much as well. There are other "lotteries" in
pupland that are hidden, and pupland as a whole shows that the
designers knew what they were doing. They even considered things that
have been ignored in the non-pupland maps (-> the infamous show
invisible "fix", which was implemented to fix bugs in the non-pupland
maps and broke the pupland maps) --- there are _very_ few places in
pupland with bugs, and most of them are probably fixed already, which
makes pupland an impressive piece of art.

Raffles are "classic" pupland maps: a neat idea well implemented;
raffle2 and raffle3 also containing reasonably difficult puzzles to
solve.

Christian

--
Christian Stieber        http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~stieber