Re: CF: Step #1 of Perl/Tk client

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Christian Stieber wrote:
> However, the question I have is: is _anyone_ working on a client
> that will allow _more_ people to play crossfire? Such as a M$-Windows
> client or a MacO$ client? Wouldn't this be much more useful than a
> weird client collection? The Java client seems to be the only one
> that has the potential to serve as a client for people that don't
> have clients for their platform, but native clients are always better.

Well, interestingly enough, the GTK client is reported to actually compile
and run on NT (with cygwin32). (That's good enough, IMO). I'm not sure we
should actually actively strive to get that many more players before a
stable release (if we wanted more, we should probably post announcements
on rec.games.roguelike.misc and freshmeat and the gtk program registry and
the various linux game project pages and set up an official website with
snazzy cool screenshots, etc). Many players bring up a lot of support
issues that I dont think we're equipped to handle with the current
not-entirely-stable-and-continually-evolving versions that are out.

On a nice note tho, we're rated 5 of 5 stars on the player rating on
the linux game tome :).

/David