Re: CF: the begining of crossfire

Hwei Sheng TEOH wrote:

> Just make up a name, I guess. Also, if we *do* come up with a background story
> for crossfire, what about those "island maps" like Dragon Island, or Dtabb
> Land (which is an entire continent on its own)? Do we want to merge these
> continents into one, or keep them separate but have a fixed location relative
> to each other? Currently, the only things that connect those islands and
> continents with the "main" continent are the ships that take you to/from
> there. If we start to have ships where you can control where you sail, we'd
> probably want to have those islands in fixed locations.

 My eventual hope is that transportation objects will be added.  So to get to
dtabb, you would have to get on board a ship and physically sale over there
(would not be instaneous).

 This also has the nice side effect that you could have obscure islands which
the person who explores might just run accross randomly, but there might also be
a note in some dungeon about it.

 BTW, one of the suggestions to improve game play was to make the scale of the
outdoor world larger.  So instead of 80 squares or whatever to get from navar
city to scorn, it might be 800.

 An even further suggestion was a unified scale - everything the same size.  So
if you ran accross a house in the countryside, you would not see the image of a
house you then enter, but instead the walls, door, etc would be part of the
map.  This would probably increase the scale even more than the 10x mentioned
above.

> Also, we'd have to make up stories for those continents too... or let the
> map-maker come up with a story. The only concern here is that the stories
> might become inconsistent.

 If the scale of the main continent gets increased enough, the need for these
other continents may get decreased.

 I originally started a little work on incorporating dtabb land simply because
the main continent started getting a bit too many quests - almost to the point
that if things kept going on, there would be some quest every 10 spaces.

 As a note, the current maps are based on the 'chico' set of maps.  Don't know
if that will inspire anything or not.