Re: CF: Quest & Characters and Alchemy

Doug wilder wrote:

> 1: the way its set up right now if im surounded by caldrons i only have to
> throw the spell once and it works in all of them.

 The alchemy spell was actually subverted from its original use (turning items
to gold nuggets) to use in cauldrons.  I would go beyond the problem if it
finding all cauldrons to either making potions doesn't use the spell (instead,
you apply the alchemy skill while standing over a cauldron), or it uses some
other spell.

> 2: PLAY BALANACE - if we do change this then a really good look should e
> made at the potions themselves and what level they would be assigned to.

 Correct.  This sort of goes also in how important should the alchemist be to
the game.  One problem which will be difficult to control is scarcity of
components - you could say that potion XXX, which is a really good potion, is
not hard to make but has really scarce components (and thus the ability to make
it would be limited).  But in reality, down the road, you don't know if some map
may get added in which the availability of the components is now much easier.

> 3: Cursed items being made - personally i think if we were to change this we
> should make it so that they are rarely made. Its a giant flaw in the game
> that i can just dump an item in and throw the spell and somehing appears
> (its cursed) and i can sell it as long as i dont identify it and make GOOD
> money doing it. I dont suggest that the items not come out cursed, I think
> the 95% of the time only Slag comes out if you fail.

 Agree.  An alternative is to change the shops so they don't buy cursed items.
It would not be a big stretch to presume that shopkeepers either have the spell
or the skill, and would know that they have no use for cursed items.