Re: CF: Unique quests

Michael Toennies wrote:

> Hi
>
> There are 2 easy ways to implememt unique quests.
>
> 1. Random Quests
>
> A special person (perhaps a guildmaster in a guild) gives you the order to
> bring item X to him.
> This can be very easy (bring me the heart of an Orc) or very special. The
> quests for the crowns
> in lake city goes in this direction.

 I am presuming by random, that there is a list of this quest sequence, it isn't
just something totally random generated.

> The point is, that crossfire is an "open game" where you can play every part
> on and on. Thats good but not always
> good, because the player never see an end of his actions. This is very nice
> at the game start but makes tired in the middle
> because you see no "goal" you can reach. You have solved every map and you
> play only to make all skills level 107.

 I'm not sure how the above really fixes that, other than giving the player an
easier to find record of his actions.  One thing, somewhat unrelated, is that
'score' should probably be renamed experience, as that is what it really is.  IF
there is a desire for a score and high score list, it should probably be based
on other factors (based on how long the character has been played, experience
acquired, perhaps quests completed, gold acquired, etc).  If the later points
are then factored down by the lifetime of the character, players going for the
high score may find they need to retire their character and start a new one.
OTOH, that may be bad, as it encourages even more shuffling of items from the
experience character to the new one.

> Questing and interaction gives more in player interaction too.
>
> 2. Unique quest maps.
>
> This map should have an teleporter which checks the title list. Is the title
> you cna reach in this quest in the list, the
> char has solved the quest and can not play again.

 that can already be done.  Not many maps take advantage of it.

 This can even work out good in gameplay/parties.  While that experienced member
may want to help the young'un to complete the quest, if we go back to the
shaolin example, it is a journey each needs to do on his own.