Re: CF: Re: apply() cleanup

Michael Toennies wrote:

> What we need?
> The point is, that most of this maps are from the middle 90s. Some of the
> guys who played the game yet
> has no computer at this time because they where to young. And its not enough
> to give the some bugs to
> the coding guys here, the maps need a team who works on them and only on
> them. and testing them too.

 Agree on that.  The plan was to basically scrap all the maps in a future
release.  The problem just isn't bug - it is many maps are from before many new
(and good) features were added, so they don't use those features.  This creates
an inconsistent map set at best.

> Why not set up a team of guys? There are many high level player in the game
> which knows the map and
> the way the get played. And they want bring in some new or better ideas. So
> we should use the nice "wizard"
> system of the MUDs and let them do some work.

 I don't exactly know how you mean mud wizard.  One problem/difference is that
at current time, for the most part all crossfire server use the same set of
maps, and thus a fix on one server should really get fixed in the master set and
all servers.  My understanding of most muds is that the map/environment for each
one is different.  crossedit will still be the way to edit maps for a long time
to come - to extend the server to modify the original maps would require a bit
of code, and probably changes to the client also.

> How i understand the game, the maps in the maps-file are part of the open
> source. So the develop team should
> give single persons the permission to work an specific map parts. Then they
> got linked to a server and after
> some testing to the public. Remember, every man who work on the game is good
> for the game itself, so
> you should make it easy to join. If the work is bad, we don't put it in!

 Getting access to the CVS tree is not hard.  I have no problem with one person
being a 'map czar' - in fact, that makes life easier on me as then I don't have
to process any patches.  There has been nothing in the past to prevent this,
other than someone stepping forward and volunteering for this position.

 Generally speaking, I welcome most anyone willing to contribute on crossfire.