Crossfire Archive

Re: World Maps and "meta-truths" (Was: Re: CF: some examples)

On Sat, 10 May 1997, Brian Thomas wrote:
> 	I definitely would like to see a better defined scale
> 	for all maps. This has been an issue discussed in prior
> 	times, and, for my part, I would prefer that a consistent
> 	scale be adopted for "inside", "town", and "countryside"
> 	adventuring (each has different scale). Making archetypes
> 	to fit the needs of these different scales is an important
> 	part of preserving consistency.

Agreed. It is already mostly done, altho I want to add some more archs
for countryside buildings.

> 	If we want to make the whole world (in maps) then, I think,
> 	we are talking about adding another "continental" scale,
> 	and some archetypes should again be developed (eg
> 	"mountain_chain", etc).

Dont you think that the countryside scale could contain that? Part of the
idea is the old 'travel is an adventure' proposition. A continental scale
could be usable in some cases tho.

> 	One problem I have with making "world" maps is that once
> 	they are made, then we have (potentially) shut out all new
> 	continental development.

Actually, solving that problem was one of the ideas behind the maputils
for mapsplitting and joining I wrote. Using those, you can arbitratily
merge new sections into the worldmap (well, to the east and south since
you'd get connection problems in the objects on the 'outside' scale
otherwise), as long as you keep standardized on a section size and keep
the total in a rectangular shape. If we had a 4x3 section map, you could
easily add in three new sections to make it a 5x3 map, and keep the
undeveloped ones as water or something. Run mapsplit and you get all of
it into a joined multipart map. Since the joining information isnt
actually merged into the map until it's in distribution format you dont
get the problems with all the cutting and pasting you'd get currently.

> 	In terms of world maps/history, I would advocate an open
> 	design, wherein the "facts" concerning the CF universe
> 	are few (eg "magic works", "gods exist") but that the truths
> 	be relative to each "continent".

Agreed. The closer maps are geographically, the more they should have in
awareness of eachother tho (if there is trade and transport and such).

> 	So, unless we *override* these values in the local map, then all
> 	maps in the directory tree of /new_continent have these values.

I'd have to modify the scripts to generate directory split maps too then. :)
Or maybe a continent identifier could be used? It could take some thinking.
I like the ideas a lot.

> 	Eventually, Id like to see day/night/weather cycles be part
> 	of the meta-truth files as well as other stuff. Comments?

Well, it'd mean a lot of work :). But it would be very nice.

/David