TCLUG Development Archive

Re: [TCLUG-DEVEL:12] Java getopt classes?

"Eric M. Hopper" wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 07:28:19AM -0600, Perry Hoekstra wrote:
> > Bob Tanner wrote:
> >>
> >> I am looking for tha getopt-like class(es) for Java. I really miss
> >> this niffty little library when I migrated from C/C++ to Java.
> >>
> >> I'd really like to find something like getopt_long(3) functionality.
> >>

> > Not that I can help you, but can you explain what a getopt_long(3) does?
>
>         And, in reference to another's reply...
>
>         getopt_long really is much more easily explained if you read the
> manual.  The general idea is to make processing command line arguments
> much easier.  And, if everybody uses the same library, it'll make them
> more consistent too.
>
>         getopt_long is related to getopt.  The basic difference is that
> it makes processing of GNU long options (like --verbose) easier.
>
> man 3 getopt_long  is your friend.  :-)

Ahhh! A light-bulb goes on.  I did not understand what he meant by
reading the manual, in this case, the man pages.  I though he was
referring to something like Bjarne's reference manual.  I am too much of
a newbie to recognize that getopt_long(3) is a man page reference.  At
first glance, I though is was some special data conversion for a long 3,
like <new Long(3)>

--
Perry Hoekstra
Consultant