TCLUG Development Archive

Re: [TCLUG-DEVEL:93] Ptah

On Monday, February 21, 2000, "Eric M. Hopper" <hopper@omnifarious.mn.org> wrote:

> 	It's a powerful, simplifying tool if you want the standard GNU
> targets, and don't have recursive makes that have dependencies between
> subdirectories.  It's main purpose is to make it easy to generate
> makefiles that have the standard GNU targets.

Yeah, I do find the inter-directory relationships rather clunky.  I
usually end up creating helper libraries (noinst_LTLIBRARIES) to compile
code in subdirectories, which I then statically link with my
application, or whatever.  Pretty clumsy, but easy enough to set up.
I'm not sure what the problem is, implentationwise, which keeps automake
from supporting this in a more sane way.  Oh well.  Not really a
show-stopper.  Was this your main complaint?  It's not that hard to work
around it....

But right, if you don't want GNU-style make targets, you're pretty much
out of luck with automake.  (c:

John

--
dusk@ravendusk.org                                http://www.gnome.org