RE: [TCLUG:17072] Rebuttal

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Eric Hillman wrote:

[snip]
> Nope.  There's *nothing* network-related in Linux that requires a reboot (except
> for actually yanking out the network card, I suppose).  Networking is a set of
> services that can be stopped & started independently of the Linux kernel.

Hm.. 'fraid not. :)  I know a pair of people (who will likely be laughing at
this message by the time they read it) who decided the secondary interface
on an ISA-based 486 was no longer needed.  While people were using the
machine, they took the interface down, opened the box up, and just yanked
the card.   No poof.  No system failure.  Not even as much as an unclaimed
interrupt. :)

> I have never, ever had to reboot a Unix machine except when changing hardware,
> or installing a new kernel.  It just doesn't happen, because of the way that
> Unix is designed.  The notion of "rebooting for changes to take effect" is pure
> DOS legacy.

Yep.  I have to agree here.  SOD (erm dos) wasnt made to have drivers
dynamically loaded and unloaded on the fly (although it was NOT impossible),
so 99% of the changes required a reboot.

-David